COVID Policies for the 2021-22 school year
Frequently Asked Questions
Will masks be required in school facilities?
• It is against State Proviso 1.108 for the school to require mandatory mask-wearing for staff and students in schools. As such, masks are OPTIONAL, but highly encouraged as a mitigating factor.
Are there any areas where masks will be required?
• The South Carolina Department of Education has shared that masks can be required in school nursing rooms and athletic trainer areas, and thus will be required by the school in these places.
• The State Proviso does not address visitors wearing masks. Therefore, all visitors to include parents, will be required to wear masks as an additional precaution.
Can the school ignore the State Proviso and require masks anyway?
• No, the school must follow the proviso.
If I don’t want my child to wear a mask, do I need to sign an “opt-out” form?
• No, since State Proviso has determined masks are now optional, waiver forms are not required.
Will masked and unmasked children sit next to each other?
• Masked and unmasked students will be in the same classroom. Desk barriers will be available upon request.
If I want my child to wear a mask, how will the school ensure they do?
• If a child whose family has indicated they should wear a mask removes it, the teacher will remind them to put it back on. If they refuse to do so, the parent will be called.
Will there be processes in place to ensure my child is not bullied if they choose to wear a mask?
• Yes, as per the student code of conduct, bullying under any circumstance will not be tolerated.
What safety protocols will be in place to mitigate the spread of COVID-19?
• Enhanced cleaning and sanitation routines
• Student handwashing
• Social distancing of 3 ft. to the extent possible
• Plexiglass barriers available
• Seating charts in classrooms and the cafeteria • Micro shield 360 • Air-conditioning units to operate on the maximum ventilation settings, bringing fresh air into buildings (GPS Air filters)
• Masking is strongly encouraged
Will there be temperature checks this year?
• Temperature checks will be upon referral to the nurse’s office.
Can students play on the playground?
• Yes, playgrounds will be in use.
Will children be eating in the cafeteria?
• Yes, although scheduling and rotations may be adapted as per individual school capacity needs.
Will there be a separate area in the nurse’s station for people exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms?
• Yes, there will be a room for routine nursing visits and a separate one for persons with COVID-19 symptoms.
Will water fountains be working again?
• Bottle filling machines will be in use to reduce the spread of germs.
Is the school going to provide teachers with cleaning supplies and PPE?
• Yes, teachers should talk to their principals who can request additional supplies from the front office if needed.
Will volunteers and visitors be permitted back in schools?
• As administrators continue to monitor the pandemic, a decision as to when volunteers and visitors will be welcomed back into school buildings will be determined.
• Parents/Volunteers will be required to wear a mask while in the school building.
Will your protocols change if the virus gets worse?
• Bridges Preparatory School will continue to monitor our schools’ cases and consult with CDC and DHEC when formulating our protocols, as well as following state laws.